Monday, May 14, 2012

Dark Shadows the Movie...Aint Bad

[caption id="" align="alignright" width="300"]Jonathan Frid at Lockwood Matthews Mansion in ... Jonathan Frid at Lockwood Matthews Mansion in Connecticut, Fall 2001. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)[/caption]

Dark Shadows, along with Star Trek, kept me interested in something through many of those long hours of pain and unhappiness. True, being so young, I didn't understand everything that was happening in Dark Shadows then, but it was spooky and there was something about Barnabas Collins that made me feel funny in the pit of my stomach. He was coool in a way no one, except Spock (of course), was coool.

When I heard there was going to be a re-make of Dark Shadows in movie format, I was dubious, to say the least. My husband and one of his best friends practically had to drag me to the showing Friday night. We had dinner and I ordered popcorn and a Coke to eat and sip on while watching the flick. "At least there will be something I will enjoy about this movie!" I proclaimed. True, the movie does have Johnny Depp playing Barnabas Collins, and, for many, this will be enough to make the movie grand. His being Barnabas didn't help me any at all. I was nervous, especially since I have been re-watching the original series via Netflix recently, completely unrelated to the approach of the movie.

I am here to say...Dark Shadows the Movie isn't bad. In fact, it had just the right amount of camp and the right amount of seriousness to make it funny and keep you interested in what was happening with the characters. There were loops you had to go through because, as my husband pointed out, no one could put an entire series into a movie. Still, the loops you were asked to follow did not detract from the story at all - which was a stunner for me - and the humor present was exactly at the right places and the right times.

The main thing about the movie for me was when Johnny Depp's Barnabas spoke the perfect line. I won't spoil it for everyone, but if you've ever watched the series you will know the line of which I speak, and it concerns a name. It was there. It wasn't as elegant as when Jonathan Frid spoke it, but it was still elegant and had the Johnny Depp appeal we've all come to love (ladies [and some gents], you understand exactly what I mean!) and almost expect.

If you haven't seen the movie yet I urge you to go and make up your own mind.

Oh, and as a side note: Jonathan Frid gave his approval of Johnny Depp playing Barnabas and the cane in the movie is the original cane from the series.

It is a sad note that Mr. Frid passed away April 13, 2012 at the age of 87. Although he didn't get to see the remake of his show, I think he would actually be pleased.

No comments: