Thursday, June 24, 2004

A Planned Purchase of Bill Clinton's book, very new for me

I do not usually fall into the book craze and purchase books merely because they are supposed to be good; however, I am going to purchase Bill Clinton's autobiography. I'm just trying to really figure out WHY I want to read it so very much.

Let's face it, when it comes to politics I am apathetic at best in activity, but I do care about what is happening with my country. Unfortunately, I have come to a sad conclusion that nothing I do, even voting, is going to matter or make a bit of difference because the "popular vote" versus the "electoral college" is going to fail every damn time.

As a nation, the electoral college was outgrown somewhere back in the 1950s. Wow, that makes it last century. Still, it remains because the people in power want to remain in power and frankly, They are afraid we will make the wrong choice (i.e. not their choice) for President of the United States.

When Bill Clinton was elected, the Big Wigs thought he was going to be easily controlled. Boy, were they wrong. Why else would they expend so many millions of dollars trying to prove his infidelity? Yet, despite all of this, he managed to BALANCE THE BUDGET!

Don't get me wrong - I am not a Bill Clinton supporter. I have never supported him, but if you really look at what he accomplished, well, it's impressive, and I'm interested in hearing what he has to say. Not about his affair. (I was so tired of that when it was running on TV and am tired of it now.)

Despite my opposition to him, the man has won my respect and I want to read his book.

You want to know the really, really cool part? Because of my friend Cheyenne (guy not girl) and his wonderful anniversary present, I now have a Barnes & Noble card. I think my first purchase with it will be this book, and then a cafe' mocha.

NOTE: There will be another day for exhorting the wonders and deliciousness of a cafe' mocha while sitting in Starbucks in the Barnes & Noble store and writing, or reading as the case may be.

No comments: