Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Research Begins and Words go Down


A new novel is in the works in my head. This time I am really trying to pay very close attention to both my audience and the story I want to tell. Since it is going to be set in the Civil War era and is, more or less, going to be what most people consider a romance, there are certain criteria which must be met, and this means reading up on the time period. The book to the right is one of the books I would like to read.
In all fairness, I have been wanting to read this book for a very long time as is. I had the pleasure of reading a very small part of it once at Barns and Noble and have been very sad that I was unable to finish it; at the time it was only in hardback format, which meant it was far too expensive for me to purchase and bring home. So now I have an excuse to send a friend to the library to pick it up for me (hopefully it is there).
Another novel that would like to be perused for said novel of my own, is this one:
Robert Smalls
A friend suggested this one after hearing part of the story on NPR driving to work this morning. After reading as much about this as possible, I must admit this sounds like a wonderful story to read in general.
The new novel has not been the only writing project of late either, but a short story is nearly finished. Already there are 2,384 words down on it, and, quite honestly, I am hoping to having the first draft down by the end of today or tomorrow - Friday at the very latest.
It feels wonderful to be writing again. Hopefully I can keep pushing so this will be a new phase of wordage and successful submissions.

No comments: