Monday, March 06, 2006

Psychic Warrior, A Book Review

Bob Mayer, a.k.a. Robert Doherty, has the sort of bio you would expect someone like Hemingway to possess, someone from the past when people went out and did extraordinary things with their lives. Mayer, very much a person of the current time, has done the exact same thing and it makes me shake my head in joy and perplexity. Why am I perplexed? Because he has the sort of bio I wasn't expecting and he looks so quiet and calm a person.

Psychic Warrior is one of those books I picked up to read because the second book caught my attention and I thought it would be a good idea to read Book I before Book II. I admit, it took me a while to get into this book, but once I did - about Chapter 3, I think - I was ready for the story. There were twists and turns and the people portrayed were very real and reacted like real people. It was a wonderful story.

I have read several of the Area 51 novels and liked Doherty's (Mayer's) style of writing. It is descriptive without being overly so, and the people he writes about are people you would actually expect to meet in these given situations, especially in the military sector.

Don't jump to the conclusion this novel is just a "military science fiction" novel. It opens up areas of thought concerning remote viewing and what the government knows that we don't know without actually getting into the conspiracy theory that has actually been beaten to death in many science fiction novels.

One of the most interesting scenes in the book was when Jimmy Dalton met his wife on the virtual plane. Her body was suffering from a stroke as well as ALS, which robes the body of movement. When he first saw her ethereal body she looked like she did when he first met her, then aged to what he knew now. "I can't come back this time, Jimmy" she says. In quiet words she asks if she can just 'go on' and Jimmy agrees. He stays there in the virtual plane and watches as her soul vanishes and the alarms go off and the doctors preparing to bring her back. It is one of the most touching and yet respectful and loving things I have ever read about death and the dying of someone important to the main character's life. It was a death scene that I found myself not crying over, yet feeling the loss and in a most honored way.

Psychic Warrior is the precursor to Psychic Warrior: Project Aura which is a book I will pick up as soon as I am at Barnes and Noble's again.

Psychic Warrior is a good read without being an overly difficult read. There are plot twists, good guys, bad guys and a bad guy you can't help but feel a little sorry for. I am very curious to see what happens next, because Feteror is one bad guy I don't think is going away. Why? Because he is nothing more than a head, or brain, and a spinal column floating in liquid and connected directly to a computer. No wonder his remote viewing is so darn good! That's all he has! That is his world. Yes, I suspect Feteror will be reappearing.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

No comments: