Monday, May 22, 2006

Rediscovering Neverland

Last night hubby and I watched Finding Neverland and I must admit I was smitten. It was more than a love story. It was more than just reaching out for a dream. It was about believing dreams could come true.

Johnny Depp plays J.M. Barrie, playwright and author of Peter Pan. This is one of the finest performances I have seen Depp do. It was serious and yet humorous in the way he let J.M. Barrie's character come forth and be believable.

I hurt with him over his failed marriage. I hurt with him over the loss of his dear Sylvia, and I rejoiced with him over his love and acceptance of the four Davis brothers. This movie really should have been quite sappy and sugary, but the truth is it was poignant and filled with creativity and imagination.

Not only were the characters creative and filled with imagination, but there was something about the movie that touched the creative spark in me and helped me to see just how important my writing is to me. Yes, I know it is important to me, but sometimes it is wonderful to be reminded just how much so that when picking up pen and paper or looking at the blank computer screen there isn't a sense of dread, but of deepest joy!

Normally movies about writers and writing don't appeal to my B, but this movie was one he truly got into. Although he married a writer and lives with her (me), he doesn't truly understand how writing affects the writer and how difficult it can be sometimes to actually do the writing. Now, perhaps, he understands how some things, simple things, spark the creative juices and the words flow. If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend it, especially for all of the dreamers out there who also just happen to be writers.

No comments: