Saturday, June 03, 2006

Mindhunters

Since my dear hubby has been not working he has become a Latin music junkie and, much to my surprise and happiness, a movie junkie. We have watched good movies, bad movies, really good movies, and movies that make me blush that we even turned it on there to see what was happening. We have watched Porky's again for the first time in, oh, say, a decade, and we still managed smiles. It was most surprising that some of the lines were still remembered. Not many. Thank goodness.

Today, however, we watched an excellent movie called Mindhunters starring LL Cool J, Val Kilmer, and Christian Slater. The movie came out in 2004. I don't know how well it did in theaters, but if you can find it on DVD or catch it on Starz this month, I highly recommend it. Trainees in the FBI's psychological profiling program must put their training into practice when they discover a killer in their midst. This is what the teaser said on Starz and on Imdb. It doesn't give justice to the thrilling character of this movie or how well acted it really is.

To be quite honest I was surprised at LL Cool J's (James Todd Smith is his real name) acting abilities. Christian Slater buys it most gruesomely, but not so gruesomely you can't watch the rest of the movie. The killer that must be found is horribly wonderful and you can catch the clues slowly. But, you don't really figure out who the killer is until the end of the movie, but it isn't an ending that cheapens the film or makes the viewer feel dumb or stupid. Oh, and Val Kilmer's character also dies.

The movie is taut with psychological evaluations and how people, very intelligent FBI people at that, can fall apart under extremely trying circumstances.

And, for those of you who are curious - LL Cool J makes it to the very end. He is one of two survivors.

This is a movie I may go and watch again simply because it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time, without making me dive to cover my eyes at the gore. Blood was present and dead bodies, but it was done without being "gory" and, somehow, this made the movie even more scary than what it would have otherwise been.

I can't recommend the movie enough!

If you like a good thriller and want to help catch the killer before the end of the movie, go check it out. Like I said, it is on Starz this month.

No comments: