Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Nacho Libre

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I went to see Nacho Libre with Jack Black playing the main character - you know, the one the movie is all about. The previews looked funny, and since I am a big wraslin' fan it seemed like a piece that could actually entertain instead of just be brain fluff.

It was more than just entertaining and funny, it was downright GOOD. Jack Black wasn't playing Jack Black but a real character named, "Nacho Libre" who was really a poor and humble orphan growing up in an orphanage who always loved the Luchadores (Mexican wrestlers) and wanted to be one when he grew up. Instead of that he became a friar, but he still had his dream.

Being the cook, without money to buy the orphans proper food, he found a way of getting his ingredients by being a masked wrestler. He lost many matches, but won something else instead - the desire to fulfill his dream.

God is not the bad guy in this movie, and those who are religious are not seen as evil and to be made fun of. They are people, trying to live their faith the best they can and be honest about their own hopes and dreams and serving God. This was something that was refreshing. However, many chuckles and belly laughs do come because the characters are just people trying to do the best they can.

Jack Black surprised me most of all, and his paper-thin (I mean this guy is skinny!) partner really made the movie work. Jack Black ceased to be "Jack Black" and actually let himself explore the character of Nacho. He has a wonderful chemistry and timing with "Stephen", his partner in the ring, and eventually his best friend. It was wonderful watching them together. It would be interesting to see the two of them in another movie I think.

Nacho made me laugh, and almost made me cry, and when we came out of the theater I felt uplifted and happy. In many ways I was reminded of my own dreams and how, despite the hardships for going for your dream, they are worth it; if you don't try, all you are is miserable.

Want to see a good movie, not just brain fluff? Then go visit Nacho and tell me what you thought when you get back. Go ahead. I'll wait.

No comments: