Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Listening to Bob Dylan on the Back Porch

Saturday, before all my laid-up-ness truly began, hubby and I had a wonderful experience: We sat on the back porch of our house here in Lexington and listened to Bob Dylan in concert.

It sounds strange doesn't it?

Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson came to Lexington, Kentucky and did a concert at Applebee's Stadium. Now the stadium is just about a mile away from my house. When we pulled into our driveway just before dark, we heart the vibrating, nasal tones of Willie Nelson serenading us with "Move Over" and some wonderful guitar riffs.

Since it was looking like it was going to be a clear night, hubby and I decided to make sandwiches and sit on the back porch and listen to the next set, which was Bob Dylan, my favorite (Willie is his). Hubby sent me out onto the back porch when he started hearing the music.

How can I describe the joy ... ?

It was REALLY Bob Dylan and he was soooo close!

I listened in rapture and glee as the stars twinkled above me and the sky turned from the darkest of blues and violet to velvety violet blackness giving the stars a backdrop I haven't remembered seeing for a while.

Hubby brought out the sandwiches and some cola and we ate and listened to Bob Dylan's new stuff. My heart would hammer every time there was a pause because I wanted to hear "Blowing in the Wind" so very much.

"Blowing in the Wind" means a great deal to me, not just because of the words and beautiful melody, but because that was the second song I ever learned to sing, I think. Sissy (Sister3) would sit and sing it to me and so many other "protest songs" that, I was grown before I realized their truest meanings and what they had stood for when I was just a little girl. "Blowing in the Wind" was pretty much mine and her song for years, and in many ways, it still is because every time I think of it and hear it, I think of her, and she doesn't feel so far away.

Hubby and I called people on our cell phones to say, "Guess what I'm doing...." All were excited for us and there were a few comments of "You lucky bums!"

Hubby and I held hands as the music drifted over us. JoJo, however, was not at all pleased with daddy holding mommy's hand. She rooted, sniffed, pawed and nibbled to try to get hubby's hand out of mine. Once I let go and she immediately came and tried to crawl into my lap. I'm not positive, but I'm beginning to think she's a mommy's girl.

When the concert ended I expected an encore. An encore that had "Blowing in the Wind" somewhere in it. The people chanted and even sung. Still, there wasn't an encore. I guess it really isn't surprising considering his age.

You know what else was really surprising? I could understand what Bob Dylan was saying!

Like, cool man!

No comments: