Thursday, September 09, 2004

Technical Difficulties

We here at The Kentucky Mountain Girl News have been having horrible technical difficulties. OK, me, just me - I have been having horrible technical difficulties. Hopefully, those difficulties are in the past now, or at least delayed for a good while.

I downloaded Windows SP2 and found it totally discomboobilated my CPU. I had pop-up after pop-up, people and ads were able to come in through back doors which was never a problem before, and I was blocked from Napster, one of my daily pleasures while writing.

After working with tech support from MSN and from Napster, they were stymied and said they simply didn't know what to do, but they would figure something out. Napster I believe, and I believed the tech guy who helped me over an hour on the phone one night, but on a whole, I don't believe MSn because, well, they haven't always followed through on their promises to me in tech support. Maybe they are better.

Still, in order to get back on-line I had to do a system restore for over a month and was prepared to reformat my hard-drive if necessary, but the system reboot and a few careful choices of cleaning, did the trick. Now I am back on-line and doing much better.

My nerves are also not all ajangle as they had been.

I did not realize just how much I depend on the computer and the Internet until this little problem arrived. The thought of being without a computer for a number of days was horrifying. Why? Because this is where I spend much of my day - typing, creating, surfing for much needed information, and then going back to writing. It is a pleasurable circle that keeps my world safe, secure, and easier to handle so that when other problems arise, at least the computer is a safe haven.

Am I addicted to it? No, I've gone several days without getting on the Internet in the days before The Kentucky Mountain Girl News, but now, it seems I am always somewhere on-line and doing much to keep things orderly at least in this little corner of my world and life.

Not having a computer and the Internet for me would be like a painter not having brushes or paint with which to paint, or a canvas to put them on!

However, I do not have to concern myself with those things for now. I have my music, the Internet, and the screen I need in order to go exploring the worlds of my own imagination.

Life has been restored to its orderly state and I am once again happy, and much less nervous.

No comments: