Monday, March 26, 2007

Peace is really in a piece of string.


Yesterday I was left alone and set free in Michael's after Church. It felt like the perfect beginning of Spring to me! Hubby took a nap in the van while I shopped for yarn and cotton thread for some projects I have in mind. I roamed the isles touching various yarns and holding several to the side of my face. Knitting needles were perused carefully and selected with the utmost of care. Several ladies appeared during my wandering of the yarn and yarn tools section. Each and every one of those ladies took as much care as I did about picking out a skein of yarn, and several times they placed yarn to the sides of their faces. This is a knitters way, I believe, of tasting the yarn to see if it has the proper amount of softness before the strands are tested, ever so gently, for stretch and pull.
I was in there for a little over an hour rolling here and there in utter contentment and peace. Hubby was sleeping in the van to get over his weekend of doing various work tasks for Church. He deserved a nap, and, with the way he was feeling about me - I deserved time to enjoy myself in the yarn store. Yes, yes, I know that Michael's technically isn't a "yarn store" but this is the only place with a moderate selection of yarn that is wheelchair accessible here in Lexington, KY. (I could go to Wal Mart, of course, but I would really prefer to purchase yarn there for very large projects in hopes of saving a few pennies.) So, I go there and enjoy myself with the almost carefree abandon.
My selection for the day was a nice ball of cotton, which you can see in the picture, some Caron soft colors in earth tones; US size 8 double pointed bamboo needles, US size 3 dpns (metal), US size 2 straight needles, and US size 5 straight needles.
(I have threatened Hubby with socks from the earth tone yarn, but he says he doesn't want socks. If he truly doesn't want socks, this leaves me open to use this worsted weight yarn for other things, perhaps some leg warmers. My plan is to have several pair of leg warmers before the winter comes back to help me keep my legs warm.
So, I left Michael's feeling as if I had the best treasures I could possibly afford. When I came out the sun was still shining, the air was warm, and the sky was just as blue as when I had gone inside.
Hubby, having been awakened when I opened the side door of the van to deposit my wonderful treasures, decided he would like to go to a park and sit by the water and just rest. So, we drove out to a local park with the windows down.
Everyone pretty much had the same idea because the park was packed with people. So, sitting by the water I reached into my bags of recent purchases and picked out the cotton yarn and some needles and began playing with it. It was perfect for knitting there. Hubby just chuckled and we talked about nothing important and everything in between while my hands were busy with the thread and the needles. It is amazing how peaceful you can be when you're playing with some string and two sticks.

No comments: