Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Faith of Every Day

Today has been one of those days when my illness of the past few days has made me give in to the body and just relax and trust and be quiet. I have slept far more today than I feel like I probably should have while at the same time helping me to feel better.

The quietness of the day with the dogs lying beside me and comforting me with their warm, happy brown eyes and gently thumping tails against the bed was the best medicine I could possibly have asked for. Since there was much I could have done around the house, or attempted to do, and nothing was done, I found myself praying often. The prayers were quiet, sincere and genuine. They were prayers for my friends, for my family, for my most beloved husband, for life in general, for my dogs. They were the prayers of constantly asking for this or that, but thankfulness they existed and were part of my life.

Since I have had to be quiet for the past few days, I have noticed just how much I actually do pray throughout the day. It was quite a surprise. It was very humbling.

Another humbling experience I want to write about in a just a couple of days is going to be going to the Hermitage. It was an experience far different than what I expected it to be, and one I hope to have again in the future, whether near or far. Right now I cannot sit quietly for very long and type because, well, it hurts, however, I will write it and then I will post it. Going to the Hermitage of the Holy Cross has been one of the greatest blessings of my life.

No comments: