Friday, January 12, 2007

Any body got some advice out there?

Today is warm-ish here in the Bluegrass state and horse city. The sky is over-cast and it has been raining off and on. It is one of those quiet days filled with . . . quietness.

Last night was a night of sleeplessness, again. Insomnia is something writers tend to have in common and usually for different reasons. The one follow-through factor is that our brains just won't shut off. Insomnia isn't just for writers, of course, but it does seem to strike a lot of the creative types I know. For me, my brain hasn't shut down for a good length of time since I have been really pushing to get the novel finished and out on time, as well as finish the short story that is plaguing me. Although, on the short story, I can easily see it being a screenplay or even a novel, but I am having a hard time just putting it down in a short story format.

You want to know the really annoying part about this short story near-disaster? I had plans, serious plans, of getting a short story out before the end of every month this year. The story is done, of course. It isn't perfect. I believe it is well-written. So the question arises of, Do I send it out even though it is probably going to be rejected and even I can see it will probably be rejected? Do I send it off, knowing this, and thus practically guaranteeing my first rejection of the new year?

Part of me really just wants to keep with the plan, submit the story and be done with it. At least, if I do this, I will have taken up a challenge, taken up a goal and actually was working toward it. Should I just let the goal slip to the side? If I do that I am afraid I will not get the habit of writing and submitted embedded in my psyche and, for a writer, the heart.

Yes, there are difficulties in my little world today. They aren't problems, at least. In general, I do believe this is at the very least a productive difficulty or dilemma.

Any advice?

No comments: