Monday, January 15, 2007

House Blessings and Insomnia

For the past several weeks - three to be exact - I have had problems sleeping. I either could not shut my brain off long enough to fall asleep, or I would go to sleep and wake up an hour later and be completely unable to go back to sleep. Those of you who have insomnia know exactly how this makes you feel: drained, really cranky, and the thought processes begin to break down relatively quickly.

Being a writer it should be quite commonplace for me to not sleep having so many words, worlds and characters running around my brain. Still, sleep is a necessary part of life. Sleep lets the body and mind rest and re-boot for another day. My re-booting process hasn't been what it needed to be in order for a proper re-start for the next day. Now, add to this that my priest is coming this Saturday, the 18th, to bless the house and you get a very real sense of almost panic for yours truly.

No, we haven't just moved into our house, but the Orthodox Christian faith has house blessings every year. If the previous year wasn't so good just like a true New Year, the possibility of the next year - 2007 for us - looks better, and it really begins to look better once we have our houses blessed. It is a good tradition to me. However, as is tradition, this also means the house needs to be relatively clean and in order. This is where I just want to hide under a rock and pretend everything will go away.

Recently I sat down and looked at each room of my house and plotted out on paper exactly what I wanted to do. When I saw that I just sort of felt as if things could indeed change and be better, plus, the way I had it planned out, I should be able to do most of the organizing with my husband having to do only those things his very short wife could not reach.

Last night I slept. It took an entire muscle relaxer and some melatonin to knock my brain out, but I slept all the way until 11:30 this morning! The end result was energy I have not had in many weeks, not to mention days. The energy was so much so that I actually cleaned up around the desk and have planned out exactly how to take care of a few other things I need to do to get the front room taken care of. If this truly works, the house will be in fairly good shape by the time Father comes to bless it!

*insert squeeeeee here*

Tonight I am going to take half a muscle relaxer and a couple of melatonin. Maybe my brain will figure out I'm supposed to sleep when I lay down and re-train it for such a purpose. Either way, I am really looking forward to tomorrow!

Yeah, I'm not one for cleaning, but seeing my goals realized is ten times better, and if it happens to entail some cleaning and house-keeping, well, so be it.

Three cheers for me!

Hoorah! Hoorah! Hoorah!

No comments: