Thursday, July 29, 2004

Decisions

A Wish
By Henrietta Asher Handy
Copyright (c) 2004 by Henrietta Asher Handy

If I had a wish to make
Guaranteed of its fulfillment
What risk would I take?
Or would any risk be taken?
Would I wish for perfect health for myself or another?
Would I wish for unending wealth so cold would pass over us in the winter?
Would I require world peace so that none would take a life
From north, south, west or east?
In that moment would I ask for the rejuvenation and health needed for you
Making living for you a joy and not a task?
If one good wish could ever be used with promise of it happening
I’m not sure for what to ask, because so much could we lose.
Each moment requires a decision,
Forcing us our free will to use;
And there, within ourselves, lies the division.
So, please, don’t give me that question to decide:
I could be selfish, or self-less;
Either way, part of me would hide.

 
My cousin who is undergoing radiation treatments has decided to fight.  Some people are upset by it, saying that isn't what he wanted to do.  Regardless of what he may have said in the past, this is the present, and he has decided to fight for a few more days, months, or perhaps years of his life.
 
Yes, he is going to become very sick with the radiation treatments.  Still, he has made a choice and we, as family and friends, should respect that and stand by him, giving him as much support and all the love we can muster.
 
It isn't easy facing what he is facing.  It isn't easy watching him have to go through this.  Still, the situation is present and people around him have a choice.  Be combative, or be supportive.  My personal vote is for support.
 
How often I have seen my Mom in the past almost weep with all the advice she had been given.  Everyone was telling her different things and, in the end it didn't really matter because she couldn't make too many decisions herself.  So, all stood by her and helped her.  Loved her.  My stance was firmly taken, and it is firmly taken with my cousin. 
 
At the same time I wonder, if I could make a wish ....
 
************
Open Call
I need pieces for Saturday's post, and a posting for next week. 

Length:
Fiction 5000 words or less (impress me and it could go longer, same goes for poetry)

Poetry 30 lines max

Non-fiction, please query.

Do Not Send submissions in attachments!  They will be deleted unread!  Send them in the body of the email.  Place "Submission" in the subject line and the title of your piece.

The author retains all rights to their work, but you at least get a bi-line, which helps with the portfolio.

No payment, just publication (one day maybe).

Yes, I know this is short notice, but things happen.  I also need a piece for next week.  So, let me know the slot you are applying for.

Thanks all.


No comments: