Tuesday, July 27, 2004

An Orator

Last night, as hubby and I were preparing for bed, I flipped on the TV in the bedroom just to see what gobbledy gook was happening at the Democratic Convention. 
 
I am not partisan to any party, and am still holding firm to the theory the popular vote should actually be given more credence in hiring a President for the nation.  We are, after all, firmly rooted in an information and technological age and not scattered about having to rely upon trains for the post or horses.  So, in many respects, I find politics laughable and sometimes downright amusing, until politicians and their stupid ideas make me angry. 
 
Last night I was counting on some amusement before bed when I turned on the TV.  What I discovered was an Orator.  Bill Clinton.
 
Many things he said I found myself agreeing with.  His impassioned speech made my jaw drop and made both myself and my hubby to sit down and listen to what he had to say.  His speech so moved me, I actually went looking for a transcript of it and will post it verbatim, if you missed it, in another post of The News, or perhaps directly following this.
 
Some of the things he said made me laugh.  He made me care about what was happening in this country politically and even gave me pause to think, just possibly, I could affect it in a positive manner.
 
Mr. Clinton said, "We are constantly told America is deeply divided. But all Americans value freedom, faith, and family. We all honor the service and sacrifice of our men and women in uniform in Iraq, Afghanistan and around the world."  I found myself agreeing.  It also made me think, perhaps America isn't going to crap after all ... just maybe it isn't.
 
He further said, in another part of his speech,
The 21st century is marked by serious security threats, serious economic challenges, and serious problems like global warming and the AIDS epidemic. But it is also full of enormous opportunities-to create millions of high paying jobs in clean energy, and biotechnology; to restore the manufacturing base and reap the benefits of the global economy through our diversity and our commitment to decent labor and environmental standards everywhere; and to create a world where we can celebrate our religious and racial differences, because our common humanity matters more.
Again I found myself nodding, because I have often thought the same thing.  And often wondered Why doesn't the government DO something with all the knowledge we have?

 
The thing that made my mouth drop open most was when Mr. Clinton spoke of Viet Nam and how he had "avoided" going, but Kerry hadn't.  To hear someone admit, especially a political figure, that he had avoided going to Viet Nam takes courage, in my book, for being so honest.  I was simply blown away by his speaking and still am.  My desire to read his book has now increased 100 fold.
 
Lawrence C. Levy said in his own Blog,
"Bill Clinton's speech was enough to make anyone forget anything but what an incredible communicator he was -- and how he had raised the bar even higher for John Kerry when the candidate gives his acceptance speech Thursday."
  He is right. 

 
Bill Clinton spoke eloquently, passionately, and confidently.  He didn't beat you over the head with his words, he laid them out before you for you to make a decision and a choice.  In doing this he was far more eloquent in swaying thoughts and ideas, because he was encouraging everyone for his party candidate, yet also came across to tell fellow Americans he had made a choice and he thought it was a good one.  Bill Clinton stirred the hearts, minds, and souls of those who heard him, and, whether or not it was for a political agenda of his own or not didn't seem to matter.  This doesn't happen often, and I don't believe it will happen again, unless Bill Clinton, perhaps, is doing the speaking. 

No comments: