Friday, July 23, 2004

A Discovery Made

On Wednesday I needed to talk to some old friends and ended up making two long distance calls.  I usually don't make long distance calls.  It is much more affordable to wait until time arrives for the free minutes on the cell phone where time, as they say, is free.  But, yesterday I needed to ask about a dear friend who has been recently diagnosed with cancer and, on a wild hair, called the doctor that treated my Mommy Back Home.
 
I hadn't talked to Dr. V for over eighteen months now and wasn't sure he would remember me.  He is from India and practicing in a small mountain community.  He didn't make "friends" easily and, although he and I never would admit to being "friends" we had always been on friendly terms, especially about my Mom and her condition.  When I needed something for her I could always call him and something good would come out of it, even if it was getting her to the hospital and him talking her into staying.  He could handle Mom that way when no one else could.
 
As I said, I called him and told him my name and placed it in reference to my mother.  Much to my surprise he laughed out loud and said he had time and asked how I was doing.  He asked about my health, so we had to have a small conversation over a few minor problems he had seen me for during the time I had stayed with my Mom and I asked about him.
 
"I'm not seeing many patients any more," he said.  He didn't sound upset or disturbed by it, he was just stating a simple fact in that simple Indian way he had.  He didn't explain why and I didn't ask. 
 
Talking to him was a true verbal visit.
 
As our conversation progressed he and I ended up on religion in some loose way and I said I was Orthodox.  There was a deep silence on the other end of the line, then a tentative, "What type of Orthodox do you mean?"  I explained I had converted to Eastern Orththodoxy and heard a surprised gasp.  "I'm Orthodox!" 
 
In all the time we had known each other, this was the first time I had learned he was an Orthodox Christian.  In fact, he was a Thomasian Orthodox Christian from India!  We talked then of fasting and other items and Dr. V said he had not taken Communion in some time.  So, he was armed with my church address and telephone number and the Antiochian website.  He laughingly said something about needing Confession and I told him my priest was a very good listener.
 
The conversation ended quietly and amicably. 
 
Once I had hung up the phone I was surprised at how close I had been to an Orthodox Christian and had never known it.  It was sad in a way, yet, in a way, also appropriate:  He did not want to offend anyone and had kept his faith to himself.  I hope Dr. V does come to Lexington, it would be absolutely wonderful to see him again.
 
 
"Dr. V" is not his real name or initial, but it works for this story.
 
 






No comments: