Friday, June 17, 2005

Approval

Yesterday I was out-and-about. My second oldest sister and her husband were up in Lexington and each time they are up here we try and get together. Since our parents are no longer living, we are finding it harder and harder to get together because our separate lives keep building up and keeping us "separate" in more than just physical means in some ways, but not emotionally. It seems emotionally we are growing together than further apart, and it would really be nice to see each other more. Instead of being daughters and children, we appear to be developing even deeper bonds as "sisters" which I find absolutely amazing.

Sister2 has always been the sister I have most wanted to be like. She has a Rank One in English and Teaching and writes wonderfully, beautiful poetry. She has always encouraged me and never pulled any punches with me. When I was younger, her not pulling punches made me sad, angry, annoyed, all the things a young person would feel, but I listened to her, even when I didn't want to. I've always felt a need for her to approve of my writing more than any other person, and I have it, which brings me to my next point.

I have her approval of my writing, of how well I put words together and describe descriptions, and suddenly I realized - I have to live up to that now. There is this place in my head that says I should feel a tremendous weight on my shoulders because she approves, but, in reality, I have a freedom I never expected. I have the most loved peer of my life approving of me and what I do. If she approves, why should I care about what anyone else thinks, because, believe me, if things aren't right she tells me. I trust her to do that. But when Sister2 tells me things about my writing, she does it in a way in which I learn. This is part of her talent as a person. And, I am blessed by having her also be my sister and my best friend.

No comments: