Monday, June 27, 2005

A Painted Woman I Am

When I was growing up in the hills, if someone was called "a painted woman" they were little more (or less) than a hooker. We knew that by the gaudy make-up the person wore, which was usually very blue eyeshadow laid on quite heavily and bright red lipstick, the tacky color of red that looks like wet wax on the lips, whether or not it looked good or not. Even if the woman had on wonderful perfume, it always seemed to smell cheap on her because, I think, that's what it was supposed to smell like.

I have known this person growing up and she didn't make it to my adult hood, most of them never really do. It is sad really, because now I can look back and see a person who was struggling to make it in the world and fit in, just as they were, instead of trying to be a cheap "painted woman", because most of them aren't (although some of them are).

This was on my mind as I was lying on the bed letting the henna dry on my body. B had put all kinds of cool designs on me. It is an awesome experience. When henna dries it leaves behind a dye on the skin which you can make designs out of. It is a big Indian art form, and well, it is very sexy and quite feminine in the experience of having it applied to you.

So, as I was lying there, just relaxing, dozing, and feeling pampered and loved, I thought I'm a real painted woman right now! Of course, I then dissolved into mighty fits of silent giggles, because this was something I didn't want to have to try and explain to B just yet. I'm glad I don't think of myself the other way. Some women back home think of having make-up on makes you "a painted woman" and this makes me sad. Maybe they should try having henna put on their naked bodies and enjoying it for the pure fun of it!

No comments: