Monday, October 11, 2004

Memories

I found out today through talking with a friend Christopher Reeve had died. Probably like a lot of people I was stunned at first, then sad, then we let the conversation drift over to other topics. After having hung up the phone I really let myself just be and found myself quite sad.

I have loved Superman since I was in the hospitals growing up and fighting the pain. Superman, for me, was someone who would keep his word and help me when no one else would dare to try. He was someone that believed in himself and in others until proven wrong, and he was smart. Really smart. Superman was someone I really liked and exhibited qualities I would have liked to find in friends and, one day, in the love of my life.

As I grew older I watched the Superman movies and found someone who made Superman really come to life for me. Then, later I saw Somewhere In Time and fell in love with a man who would defy everyone, including time and death to get to me.

When I found out Christopher Reeve had been injured in a horseback riding incident I was stunned like everyone else, then, as the time went past, I came to admire Christopher Reeve as a man far more since I had had several quadriplegic friends in my life. That he kept his sense of humor and he still was so outspoken was remarkable.

Now, now he has gone to the Great Rest. I hope he knew God. It would really be wonderful to get to Heaven and have Superman there.

No comments: