Saturday, October 30, 2004

John Denver-isms

For the past couple of nights, Hubby and I have been listening to JOHN DENVER'S GREATEST HITS. Yeah, we're nerdy like that and not that far away from being almost-hippies.

There should be a term for that place, you know. The place where you aren't hippies or hippie wanna-bes but so close some people look at you and call you "well-dressed hippies". It is an attitude I realize, and how you look at the world and believe the world can be a better place, and that we, as people, can make a difference on some level. You aren't being a hippie, but you have something in common with them. It needs a name, a place of its very own in our language and culture.

Sort of like John Denver. He was never a "true" hippie, but hippies love his music, folk buffs love his music, and people of creative natures usually love his music. He reached out across a lot of spaces and his music touched people. He sang and wrote about feelings of loneliness, hope, love, and accepting who you are, no matter how much you've been fighting it.

That's what I thought of when I went to sleep last night, and again this morning when I woke up. Then, another thought hit me - I want my writing to be like John Denver's music: I want it to reach out across all levels so people will find something of themselves in it and maybe like it, and discover a unity between themselves and others out there who may, or may not, be so far from themselves.

No comments: