Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Fiction and Tuesday

It is Tuesday. Not much happens on Tuesdays. It is the day after Monday. Tuesdays are the days when you try really hard to tell yourself you are acclamated back to the work week and Friday really isn't that far away. So, in honor of Tuesday, and because I simply think it's a good idea - here is the beginning of a story for you. Look for updates on it on Tuesdays (of course) and Thursdays.


Fantasy Revealed
By H.A. Handy
Copyright (c) 2005 by H.A. Handy


There are many things in life and history, myth and legend no one can be certain of – When was the beginning of time? Does God really exist? Is there any such thing as magic in the world currently or through history? – no one can know if strange creatures ever lived or if there are untold prophecies of the end of the world (although I am sure there are of these). Who is to say what is right or wrong? That is what I used to think. I thought that all the way up to my thirtieth year of living when Dremor came into my life and changed it forever.

Who is Dremor? Dremor is an Elf. No, really, he is an Elf warrior who absolutely detests being called a “Ranger.” Why? I don’t know. He has such vehemence against it I have dared not question him further on it. Who am I? No one important, I assure you. Merely a human woman from the Twenty First Century living quietly alone with two dogs and a cat in a house my parents left me in the wilds of Lexington, Kentucky. I scrape and scrounge for every penny I get, just as you, at a job I absolutely loathe as a secretary for a small ad agency, Duncan and Moles.

Dremor literally popped into my life one evening as I was preparing myself some supper. I was tired of take out and wanted something fresh, good, and comforting. Enyo and Ella were laying by the stove and washing machine respectively, there big black bodies peaceful and content. Cappa, the true princess of the house and owner of us all if the truth be told, was lounging in her chair by the kitchen table.

Enyo was the first to raise alarm then Ella followed. They are quite protective of their mommy and of the house. We function quite well as a pack really. Cappa swished her tail then bowed and hissed at the doorway between the kitchen and living room. I went to see what was causing all of the ruckus. There was nothing there. Really, there wasn’t anything at all. Not even the television was on.

A sizzling, like bacon frying or electricity ready to pop something sounded, and there he appeared in Elven robes of green and silver. He was tall, muscular, and beautiful with long flowing black hair. A single braid with a silver bead was dangling over his right eye as if he had just landed from a relatively tall jump.

Dremor spoke first in Elvish. It wasn’t like Tolkien’s Elvish, but it was close, flowing, and sexual. His lavender eyes looked down at me as if waiting for a response, but, of course, I didn’t have one. Finally he smiled, and with the most elegant of accents bowed and said, “Greetings to you my lady.”

Enyo and Ella came to stand on either side of me. They weren’t barking any more. They were turning their head this way and that observing one of the greatest curiosities they had ever seen by their actions. Dremor knelt and they went straight to him as if he was a long lost friend they hadn’t seen in ages. This made me uncomfortable, so I called them back to me.

“I am Dremor,” he said. “I am come from Elweisfen to call you to the Great Council.” He bowed again. My heart raced in my chest. Had I fallen and was in the process of dying? Had I gone insane? Dremor strode to me, slipped an arm around me and led me into the center of my very own living room. Perhaps I was simply too stunned to resist, but I really didn’t feel anything threatening from him. He was too handsome, too gentle, too strong to cause me harm, I hoped.

Dremor carried swords at his back I noticed, and scepter in his right hand. “It won’t hurt,” he said softly, bending down close with a reassuring smile, “I promise.” Enyo and Ella trotted to us and sat looking up at us expectantly. “Of course you can come!” he said to them. “You must protect her after all, don’t you?” Enyo grumbled in her playful way of ‘talk’ and wagged her tail furiously. Cappa appeared swishing her tail and looking quite out of sorts. “And you, of course, what would any of them do without you?!” Dremor inclined his head to Cappa who stretched luxuriously before trotting forward to rub between Dremor’s legs affectionately.

Dremor was raising the scepter above his head and looking at a glowing lavender crystal. I felt something like stinging ants all over my body.

“Why me?” I asked suddenly. Of course, I should have asked that earlier, but I didn’t. Would you? Perhaps some of you would, but I don’t know many.

Dremor looked down at me and the crystal fell silent and dim. His brow furrowed slightly. “Are you not Marjorie Film of Hallowed Wood?” My parents and sisters and I had moved from Hallowed Wood to Lexington not long before Daddy got sick and had to be hospitalized. I nodded. The furrow vanished and he smiled again, the sort of dazzling smiles women only dream about directed at them. “Then you are the one I was sent for.” Dremor slipped his arm around me tighter and pulled me closer to him. Raising the scepter again, he kept his eyes on me, smiling reassuringly. “Thieln,” he almost whispered.

The feeling of ants on my body was almost more than I could take! It was almost painful, but not quite. The house began to shimmer as if I was looking at it through a watery reflection. Slowly it was being replaced by woods, blue sky, mountains in the distance and the gurgling of a stream. My feet were no longer on the old brown carpet, but on thick green grass.

Odd, I know, but it was at that precise moment I knew I had left the stove on and my house, would it be there when I got back, if I was able to go back?

Dremor released me and I felt cold and frightened without his touch. Enyo and Ella went cavorting off to bother the horses while Cappa was quite amused by a butterfly. She had always freaked out when I had taken her outside before, but here she was perfectly all right and kittenish again. Dremor bent and picked her up. Cappa purred loudly with pleasure, almost glee, and her eyes closed several times in happiness as she looked at Dremor. He ha mesmerized us all.

Another voice was speaking quickly and excitedly. I turned to see several more Elves in different shades of green and silver, some purple and gold, all of them quite handsome. Their eyes roamed over me appreciatively as well as nearly awed. Dremor said something back, his face firm and unyielding, but still, somehow, kind.

“Forgive us, my lady,” said one of them who bowed. He had long flowing blond hair and looked less substantial than Dremor in physical stature. “We were quite worried whether or not you would come to help us or that Dremor would be able to find you.”

“Yes,” said a third who had long brown hair and it was braided on each side in intricate plats and ties so that he looked almost as if he were wearing a crown of his very own hair. “We have been waiting here a very long time.”

“How long?” Dremor asked as he stroked Cappa’s head absently, though her purring grew even louder.

“Ten days.” Dremor relaxed a little.

“We have plenty of time to return to the Great Council then.” Cappa was placed gently on the ground and she followed after Dremor more like a puppy than a cat. Enyo and Ella came bounding over to me, wrestling as they came. Their tails were wagging so hard and fast it was amazing they were still on their bodies!

I stood there with the dogs and felt very lost, as well as excited. IF this was really happening, then I really was in the presence of Elves.

Dremor reached out to me. I took his hand and was surprised to find the fingertips were calloused and the palm was rough, but his touch was so gentle and strong.

No comments: