Saturday, July 09, 2005

Neanderthal, A Book Review

Neanderthal by John Darnton isn't a bad read. It is roughly 395 pages of adventure with a theory for a possible explanation as to what happened to the Neanderthal species and if they still existed the possible explanation of why and if they were friendly or not.

I wish I could say I enjoyed this story, but I can't. The first half was wonderful. The action and science blended perfectly, but then the heavy-handed government angel just bogged everything down. Of course I could see the premise Darnton puts forth actually happening, it just seemed a little heavy handed. I found myself skipping, or wanting to skip, through the 'government' sections.

The latter half of the book, without the 'government' sections, was actually enjoyable. The quiet evil of the government almost seemed like a filler to just pull out the words. I believe it would have been a much better book without it, or so much of it.

I suggest you check it out, read it for yourself, and tell me what you think about it. I'd just grab it from the library if you can find it, don't go paying for it.

No comments: