Wednesday, July 06, 2005

A Novel Report

I tried very seriously to sleep late today, and if I didn't sleep I was going to make sure and lay there and relax. I really tried. What got me up and going? The novel, affectionately called WHRTTT (because the working title is a little long and I don't want to have to type it out all the time). The characters were there giving me glimpses of what they 'may' do when I get back to them. As it stands, this is the longest story I've written in ages with any hopes of completing it. So far to date there are 20,116 words total. Some writers love the tick of daily totals and over-all totals, I prefer just over-all totals, it makes me feel productive and I can see a good movement of words in comparison to the story.

Sometimes it would be nice, I think, to be able to just spit out the story whole. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be a composer or painter, but when it really comes down to it, this is what I genuinely love to do - tell stories. I am a story teller with the possibility of millions of stories inside me. There is a good chance I won't get all of them out, but why not get out the ones I can as inspiration strikes? Ideas are inspirations, so why let the inspirations die? True, sometimes we have to work on other things just to give our creative soul a break, and sometimes the weight of the world requires a nine-to-five job, but if you don't follow your calling while you are fulfilling your monetary requirement, what good do you have in the life you live?

OK, enough soap-boxing.

Total words as of last night 20,116.

Pray it finishes nicely. :)

No comments: